Thanks for the words of wisdom Dave and for the congrats on getting married.
My wife is very tolerant of my VW habit and wants a restored Beetle for
herself.  :)

My reasons for making a light duty hauler out of a bug is that I have ton of
bug stuff and bugs laying around and it wouldn't be too hard to cut up a
couple of pans just to use them and get them out of the way.  I shy away
from hydraulc clutches because it created another point of complexity that
is prone to failure.  I've only ever broken one clutch cable and that's it.
If you keep the tubes lubricated, the cables last a real long time.

I know a bug hauler won't haul a heck of a lot but it would still be neat
for the occasional time I need to grab a few boards and plywood sheets.  It
would also be easily repairable and good on fuel.  If you look at beetle
pickups, their beds always look goofy - way too short.  I think much in the
way a dune buggy looks that much better shortened, it proportionately would
look better lengthened the same amount.  It's all in what you have up on
top.  An elongated beetle would look goofy but if you have a pickup box on
it, suddenly it looks kinda cool.

I'm gonna see if I can have some fun with photoshop or some CAD program to
illustrate my point.  I have no idea how to use those programs but I'll see
what I can do.  Even if it degrades into printing line art and piecing it
together on pieces of paper and scanning it in...I'll give it a shot.

A baywindow would actually do the job fine but I want to be able to lob
stuff up and over the side of the box instead of always feeding it in the
end.

Thanks for writing back.  Appreciate the thoughts!