Volks,

A friend is restoring a late 1950s-vintage VW Type 1 police car. A friend
has offered him a German “jerry can” – a 20-liter fuel can – that he
proposes to mount onto the outside.

Questions:  (1) Has anybody ever seen a German police car with a gasoline
can mounted on the outside? Where and how?
And
                     (2) Has anybody ever seen a civilian beetle – late 50s
vintage – with an outside jerry can mounted? Where and how?

My own thought is that the running board cannot support a bouncy jerry can
without some reinforcement, and that a gas can is too vulnerable no matter
where it’s mounted. But maybe the Germans knew something we don’t.  Can
anybody help with authenticity counseling?

Bert Knupp in Music City USA
Copbug Polizeikäfer on Facebook

--
Visit the VintagVW archives at