I would like to point out there is no mention in Settings of a Premium
voice. You either have Compact voice on or off. It is misleading to talk
about voices in any other way, even if in practical terms that is the
meaning.

Here is where I am confused. When I look at my settings, I see "Use Compact
Voice On". Does that mean I am currently using the non-Compact voice or that
the Compact voice is on. If I tap that button and it changes to "Use Compact
Voice Off", is the compact voice off and I am using the "premium" voice or
will it begin using the "premium", Compact voice when I tap that button and
it changes to "Use Compact Voice On".

There is probably some engineer's logic to these toggles, but I do not see
them as consistent throughout settings. Sometimes it means this is the state
you are in, but other times it means this is what you will change to.

I am simple, so any simple explanation will be appreciated.

To my ear, I am using the original VoiceOver voice when my setting is "Use
Compact Voice On". I have been told this is the compact voice and not the
high-quality, "premium" voice. But, if I switch to that other one, it sounds
gravelly and distorted. I may not have perfect pitch or all the qualities of
some master musicians' ears, but I do have good hearing "um, when I listen,
so says my wife). :)

Away with me...

Eric