OK, just to be really methodical about this.
Go into settings and make sure the volume is set to change with the buttons.
Do this with your earphones plugged in, so once the volume is set to change
with the buttons, try the two finger flick up, then unplug the headphones and
keep tapping on the volume up button on the side of the phone.
If that doesn't fix it, then it is time to deal with Apple.
So, you are saying the speakers work fine for everything other than VoiceOver,
right?

Richard

(Sent from my iPhone)