Yeh, I think security is always a trade off between convenience and
security. Most cloud based services have privacy statements which you
can read over before you sign up. Of course, you can always choose not
to believe these statements and guarantees. Also don't forget that
anything going out over the internet can conceivably get snooped, such
as email. IMAP was also the cloud before there was a cloud.

When it comes to Google, it's interesting though. Whereas other
companies and individuals may have to work hard and use up a lot of
their time to snoop, remember that Google made their name exactly by
efficiently searching through data. That doesn't mean I personally don't
trust Google though, I'm just saying!

IMHO, I think security is a serious concern, but I also am not sure much
of the general public is overly concerned about security, especially
when it means inconvenience. Using the same password on all of your
accounts is probably much less secure than the encryption Google uses to
store your Google Drive data. Security is only as good as the weakest
link in the chain.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail