Ah, the 4G versus 3G point makes a lot of sense to me. I'm still
surprised that Verizon would discourage someone from buying an iPhone if
they're asking for it though, but I can definitely see a Verizon
representative saying something like "You don't want an iPhone. you want
one of our 4G Androind phones."

I dislike the changes some vendors/carriers make to Android that get in
the way of accessibility, but in general I'm more open to Android's
openness. Just like with PC's, and other products like mattresses, I can
understand where a distributor would want to differentiate their product
from all of the other products out there from the same manufacturer. Of
course, this leads to fragmentation and bloatware, but this closed
approach is also what leads to the popularity of jail breaking. IMHO,
Apple is going to have to meet with the carriers in the middle at some
point, and the Android ecosystem is going to have to deal with the
fragmentation issue. I've even heard that Samsung is going with more of
a closed model and won't be letting the carriers do as much branding as
they've been allowed to in the past. Of course, this doesn't keep
Samsung from doing what they want to Android.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail