When I first got my iPhone, I had a similar problem. It turns out I had
a lazy finger, I think it was my thumb, and it would kind of droop down
a bit and occasionally brush the screen during a gesture, changing the
gesture altogether! I also found that the fingers holding the iPhone
would occasionally wrap around to the front a bit too much and get
picked up as another finger during a gesture. As Raul said, paying
attention to this and practicing resolved these issues for me.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail