Well I think this is quite relevant to the discussion of iOS. First there is no
way in hell a smart phone, including any iOS device will have sufficient
battery to allow for the level of travel a dog can. You would have to hull
along a considerable amount of batteries and find a charging station somewhere.
I can get about 10 years of near continuous service, always on, and always
ready to go from my dog, and hey I do not have to perform any upgrades or
reboot him. Although I wouldn't mind tweaking some of his processes. :)
I do not see this type of project ever working out because there is just simply
no way to produce 2D maps for all the buildings etc. that is out there unless
they expect crowd sourcing. I think instead of trying to replace the dog or
cane, they would be better served in partnering with APple or a developer to
integrate these ideas into a map program. For example, if it were possible to
use cell towers, GPS, etc. to help navigate more efficiently indoors, that
would be of some value. Trying to use a smart phone to tell you how to get from
point A to point B inside or out will never be successful. I do not see blind
people walking around waiving their iPhone so the camera can tell them about
obstacles in the way and never mind the drop offs etc.
Another project that seems to have not considered all aspects of what blind
people could benefit from.