Hi Anna,

Thank you for replying.  I will see whether deleting all the previous edits
will help.  I too struggled to find the way to close the file and as you said,
you can only do it if you add another file to the Writer.  I hope the developer
is going to provide this facility.  I like the Writer a lot so I do hope for
some improvements.  More interestingly, in yet another attempt to solve the
issue, I tried to export my .txt file into .rtf file to obtain the last edit
but having done so, I I could not find the .rtf file at all in the Writer
folder in icloud drive which is where I had chosen to save the file.  Anna, can
you recommend another application that would work seamlessly between iphone and
mac using icloud drive or dropbox?  I find Pages unsatisfactory because when
I'm on cellular connection away from home, my edits don't get passed att all
into the icloud drive, and I don't understand why.  I had a correspondence
about this with Tim on the list and he seems to have no problem with this in
Pages but I can't make it work.  This is pretty irritating to me because I keep
getting new apps and I can't find the solution to a simple thing that is
supposed to work, i.e. editing a file between iphone and mac and being sure
that the changes are going to be there when I get home.

Sorry for this long post.

Best wishes

Andrew