Kindness may not be the correct word, I have from 3 to 5 employees depending
on the time of year and if I need to know what it says in a particular fax I
ask one of them to read it to me, I do write their PayCheques after all
*smile*.

I have used Openbook to read these faxes at time when I just didn't have
somebody around or was working from at home, the faxes arrive as PDF files
and if you have Openbook you can simply use the Freedom Printer to print
something like this to the OCR application. Of course the results depend on
the format, I still have suppliers that use Dot Matrix printers and if the
ribbon is almost used up even my staff has sometimes problems reading it.