Hi Ed,

What somebody wants to turn off or keep on is personal preference. As for
“where” I already said that. Background app refresh is its own item in Settings
> General and system related location services are, as I said, under Settings >
Privacy > Location Services > System (that is almost at the very bottom of
location services).
Here you have things like automatic time zone which I don’t feel is necessary,
if anything I may turn it on briefly if I am travelling across time zones and
the time doesn’t seem to set itself correctly, but usually it does anyways
based on cell towers. Also things like traffic I don’t feel I eed or nearby
locations etc. Most of the system related location services I turn off except
maybe compass calibration or distance tracking or whatever it is called. Alsom
most is pretty self-explanatory.

As for background app refresh, I turn everything off except maybe those that
are important to me like Parcel, Facebook, Messenger, Skype etc. Again, it’s
personal preference, but even if you turned off background app refresh
altogether it may not make it much of a worse experience for many users. How
much battery it actually saves I don’t know, it just says turning off some of
this “may save battery life”.

iCloud is the same thing. If you never take photos having iCloud Library turned
on for photos or turning on Photostream may not be important. I use OneDrive to
back up my photos so it’s not important to me and it would only result in
photos getting uploaded to two cloud services which of course may use more of
my data if I am not on WiFi when I take a picture. I suggest you just go
through the options and decide what seems important for how you use your
device, there is no right or wrong or a particular set of settings that works
for everybody.