I read about some of this when I did some Googling about Android accessibility,
which is why I went with an iPad Mini when I finally decided to get a tablet.
I’m very glad I did. Nothing is perfect, but I really like it.
Evan

From: John Panarese
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:07 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: WWDC event, was it yesterday?

   Actually, if you have been keeping up with the markets, Samsung has been
losing a lot of market share to both Apple, but from other Android handset
makers. In fact, in their home country, they are no longer the largest handset
company any longer. This doesn’t take into consideration the fact that Android
overall continues to fracture in its use across devices, as the fact that less
than 2 percent of all Android users are even running the latest software and
over seventy percent of Android users don’t even know what is the latest
software or if their device can even run it. In point of fact, handset makers
really don’t want their user base to be able to upgrade their devices for
lengthy periods of time which is why Android users often find their devices
outdated within three months of [purchase it as just happened to my cousin.

     Add to that the additional reality that sixty percent of Android users
have some form of malware on their phones or tablets is somewhat disturbing to
me. It’s the risks you take with open source software, like it or not. It’s why
I use Android for only curiosity and my geeky interest than utilize it for any
important work.

   Also, from personal experience, to say Android is accessible out of the box
is misleading. You have to take into consideration as to what device you are
using. Out of the box, this can make a major difference in your Android
experience, and in some cases, what other software you have to download.
Accessibility works far better on Google devices because there isn’t the other
bloatware that other handset manufacturers include. It’s why I went with a
Google device and not another maker’s product. Also, web accessibility in
Android is very sporadic. You do, in fact, have to be much more of a geek or a
tinkerer to really use both Android and accessibility effectively. I have two
particular friends who have really taught me a lot about Android over the last
year.

Take Care

John D. Panarese
Director
Mac for the Blind
Tel, (631) 724-4479
Email, j...@macfortheblind.com
Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com

APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL and Trainer