Thanks for this information. It's extremely helpful. So my next question is,
bearing in mind that my Gmail account has been set up on my phone for ages
(years/since I had it), where do I go to check/make sure that this CardDav
function will work? Do I need to change the settings on the phone itself or do
I need to go into my Gmail account from the Internet and change it from there?

Many thanks.

Eleanor

Sent from my iPad