and yet, the NFB passed a resolution specifically targeting Apple when apple
was clearly the best in the field accessibility wise. I have far less issues
with their OS (on the laptop or the iPhone) than I do with the windows machine
(using jaws or NVDA or even narrator) At least when an app turns out to be
inaccessible on an apple, it isn't apples fault (hell, they published the API
for it), it's usually the vendor of the software who decided not to abide by a
published API.

By comparison, Microsoft and their MSAA is a joke. They don't even pay
attention to it half the time (witness windows 8 and 10 respectively). Now, it
is true that the NFB has nagged them over the years to resolve this, but what
it really took before MS would take this seriously was a lawsuit.

And as for google, their attitude toward us of late has been far less than
stellar. Ever since they moved the company head ops to India, its been a
nightmare. SOme of Googles tools are now so inaccessible that they cannot be
used by a blind person on ANY platform (including their own). THere has also
been a trend toward going back to some of the older schemes for keeping out
bots, etc. These schemes, by their very nature, are completely inaccessible
(like visual only capchas, etc.).

compared to those, apple has been the best performer accessibility wise. It is
unfortunate that they rolled the accessibility testing division (voiceover)
into the mainstream development cycle the way they did. It actually created a
situation where accessibility now takes a back seat to overall OS development.
An example of this is the nasty bug in the dictation routine that they have, so
far, addressed.

Given all the above, the NFB proposal as passed smacks of a money grab. Sorry
to be a wet blanket on those true believers, but thats my assessment.

anyway, I think this thread is now to the point of beating a dead horse, don't
you think?

-eric