Yes, there needs to be some separation of your fingers. The touch screen needs to know that you're using multiple fingers instead of one fat finger. Practice is key. You probably want to start by using some pretty exaggerated gestures, and once they start working, see what you can get away with. The roter gesture is a good example of this. I started with a pretty exaggerated gesture where I had two fingers strangling a virtual knob on the screen, and now it's just a quick twist with two fingers barely touching the screen.