Hello Alan,

I am running the latest version of iTunes on two Windows 7 computers, one
32-bit version and 1 64-bit version.  I have experienced none of your issues.

I suggest that you:

1.
Reboot your WiFi router/modem and confirm that it is connecting to the internet
at acceptable/expected data speeds.

2.
Swap out the lightning cable to insure that you have a solid good connection.

3.
If you are using iTunes on your PC to download podcast, turn this feature off
as it can greatly, and I do mean greatly slow down application startup and
device connectivity.  Years ago, before I discovered this fact, I would
sometimes wait up to 45 minutes in order for iTunes to complete its launch.  It
was a nightmare.

4.
Rather than re-installing  iTunes, on top of itself, first, completely
remove/uninstall iTunes from your Windows 7 PC.
Doing this will not delete any of your data; however, I always recommend making
a backup of your iTunes Library before proceeding with such a step. Next,
reboot the computer. Finally, install a fresh copy of iTunes on your PC.  To be
sure, re-installing iTunes on top of itself is not the same as installing a
completely fresh copy.  Trust me on this, I’ve had to do it several times, over
the years (smile).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mark