Terri,

No, you don't need a passcode, if you are not concerned about security you can
certainly go to Settings > Touch Id and Passcode and double tap on "Turn
Passcode Off".
Note that you have to enter your passcode to get into Touch Id and Passcode.
I find that with Touch Id it is just as fast to unlock the phone if you set up
the fingerprint, on a 5S or iPhone SE Touch Id is not quite as fast and
reliable as on the 6S or later phones, but it still works very well.

It sounds like you installed iOS 11, if so then deleting a text message
currently has a bug which is what yoou probably experience.
Does Voiceover say Null after you delete a message?
If you close the messages app in the app switcher and then open it again this
will be gone, it's just that right now if you delete a message by flicking down
to delete and then double tap it puts some weird blank in place. I asked my
sighted wife and she said she doesn't see the word "Null" but it shows as a
blank spot.
As I said, just make sure you close the Messages app and then reopen it and all
should be fine, to avoid this from happening tap on the Edit button at the top
left of the screen if you want to delete a message or messages. After you do
that you can tap one or multiple messages to select them, then find the delete
button near the bottom of the screen and tap it. You'll be prompted if you want
to delete and after you confirm the messages are gone with no weird item in
their place.

I still don't know if you have an iPhone 5S or an iPhone SE, maybe you can
check that out because it helps when you ask questions. You may have to ask a
sighted person though, don't know of a place in Settings where this is written.