I actually tried the workaround and it did work for me. However, it takes a few
steps and involves turning off the option for automatically setting the clock,
moving your device ahead a year, attempting to activate the button in the
Passbook app, and setting the clock back to automatic time setting.
Needless to say that there are few apps available, so waiting for Apple to fix
the issue makes more sense. :)
The problem in performing the steps is you have all sorts of errors popping up
on the screen which seems to cause no harm, but you have to be aware of it. If
you really want to try this just search for the article on Google. And keep in
mind it may not solve the problem for you.