Thanks Sieghard, I wasn't quite sure how reordering worked and this explains it
brilliantly and thoroughly! It won't solve my default issue though, as I don't
want to change the international settings and change the date etc.  I have
reported it  to Apple though and maybe they will do something  about it. It was
never a problem in five, so I don't know what they've done to make voice-over
start in  your default language on start-up now. :(
As for the difference between high-quality and compact, I am getting used to
the change of pitch, I couldn't notice the difference between HQ and compact
though I have had them off and on invariably, I quite like the fact that when
you delete a letter it is at a lower pitch and when you insert one it's at a
higher pitch, I don't know if this is new to iOS six or the voice was never
differentiated enough before but I never noticed it before.

Kirsten

Sent from my iPhone