It means "Mobil Virtual Network Operator".

These are companies like Koodo, Virgin or Fido here in Canada who are mobil
carriers, but they don't have their own networks/infrastructure but lease
wireless telephone and data services from Bell, Roger and Telus.

Unfortunately here in Canada each of the big 3 owns one of the MVNO's, Bell
owns Virgin, Rogers owns Fido and Telus owns Koodo and this does somewhat
reduce the competitive edge these MVNO's bring to other markets.

I think out east you have Wind mobil and maybe a couple of others who are still
independent.

In the States there is a whole bunch of MVNO's, Consumer Cellular, Cricket,
FreedomPop, Straight Talk are some of the more well-known companies, some like
Straight Talk offer service on all 4 major networks, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobil and
Verizon.

According to this Wikipedia article about the List of United States
MVNO's<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators>
 there are over 90 of them.

Most countries in Europe also have a bunch of them which results in much
greater competition hence usually lower prices. Canada is often mentioned as
having some of the most expensive internet, wireless phone and TV service and
that might be true, but one thing one should not forget is that it is of course
easier to maintain all that infrastructure and have a lot of customers in
countries which are much smaller and have a lot more population. Our carriers
also are expected to provide service in all these remote places where they only
have a few customers and that is not easy.