This happened to me on the iPhone 5 my employer provided me, and I most definitely did not leave it on the charger all of the time. I know this is anecdotal but I don't think a swelling battery has anything to do with whether you leave your phone charging or not, but it's probably more likely do to a defective battery or phone. Of course it's unlikely, but maybe someone just got two phones with defective batteries.

There's a lot on the web about this, but most of the resources I've seen claim that it's OK to leave your phone charging all of the time. The electronics in the battery and the phone should take care of things for you. Here's just one such article I found http://www.businessinsider.com/safe-charge-smartphone-overnight-2017-8

Someone from Apple may tell you it's your fault since they're working under the same misconceptions as others in the general public. they may also tell you this because they don't want to let you know there may be a problem with Apple's batteries or electronics in their iPhones.

On 01/12/2018 03:59 PM, MamaPeach wrote:
This actually happened with two of my iPods, one was a 5 generation and one was a 6, I had the 6th generation one fixed, but not the 5th generation. I had them both plugged up most of the time and the tech said that it was me keeping the device plugged up all the time that was the problem. Why else would the battery swell on two different generations of iPods? What else could have caused it if not keeping them plugged up? The 6th generation was fairly new. I wanted to get them both fixed, but just the one cost me $150 to get repaired.

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 4:06 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Harming battery if left on a charger all the time

My laptop is always plugged in since I rarely use it away from the house and the same was true with my previousl laptop and even after over 5 years it still holds a decent charge when I do unplug it. As other said, modern batteries can handle this easily and the problem with the battery that swelled surely was a different issue and would eventually have happened regardless. After all look at the Note 7 disaster where devices which weren't even plugged in at all burst into flames.