Hello Terri,

The bottom line on the answer to your question is that, all things being equal,
your phone is most likely locked to T-Mobile until you pay off the balance of
your phone.

As a general rule, however, T-Mobile devices, when paid-in-full, purchased from
the Apple Store are not locked to any carrier.

After you pay-off your phone, you will then contact T-Mobile, and instruct them
to unlock your device.  It's very simple as they will send you an email
containing the unlock instructions.

Having said this, it is quite possible that your phone is already unlocked.
The easiest way to determine this is to simply insert a SIM card from another
Wireless provider into your device and see if you can make and receive calls.

Were I you, I would take my phone to an A T & T Store and ask them to insert
one of their SIM cards as a test.  Or, you may know someone who has an A T & T
or Verizon Wireless account; if so, they may be willing to assist you, as well.

If memory serves, while Sprint SIM cards should work in your phone, I wouldn't
use them as a test option.

What concerns me, though, is that you stated that you want to keep your current
T-Mobile number while switching to an A T & T Prepaid account.  I'm not certain
if this is possible.  Were you to switch to a standard A T & T Wireless
account, this would definitely not be a problem. but the rules governing
telephone number portability are slightly different when it comes to prepaid
accounts.

You will have to contact A T & T Wireless and ask them if it is possible to
port your current number to a prepaid account.  Do not be surprised if they say
no.

Mark