Suzie, several things here:

1. In iOS 13.1, go to Settings > Display Brightness to check your setting for
Autolock. If you set it to  Never. your phone will lock only if you push the
side button  to lock it yourself.I see no reason to have Apple lock it for me.

2. Go to Settings > Touch ID Passcode.   If you have an iPhone 8 or older and
have not done so, set up Touch ID. Then you can specify the things to use Touch
ID for and one is Unlock Phone.  If you have a newer phone with Face ID I
cannot help.

3. I know what an excellent user of Braille  you are. Have you worked at all
with Braille Screen Input? I love it!! Many of us, including yours truly, have
absolutely not masterred typing on that. Screen.
 If you want some help with BSI, I’ll call you and we can catch up.

Your Old Friend
If these things do not help, call Apple Accessibility and don’t be dissuaded by
the message that says to call them only when specifically working with
VoiceOver. They know that everything is affected by VoiceOver!

Second, e?

Sent from my iPhone