I think the platforms are about the same. On our tv and on the ultra boxes we
have, the interface seems the same. The ultra box has a nicer voice but I have
never made that an issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2019 4:24 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: An off list question re purchasing a smart tv

Is there a difference in accessibility between a Roku box and a smart TV with
Roku built-in?
I assume Larry is talking about the Roku boxes?
I really think if somebody really wants the most out of what TV and the various
devices and services have to offer that a single device isn't necessarily the
answer. Fortunately a lot of these things like Roku and a Fire TV stick and
even the Google Chromecast aren't very expensive so there is no reason why one
can't have any number of them. I agree that considering the quality of speech
nowadays it shouldn't be that hard for Roku to include a decent TTS unless of
course their boxes run on very low-powered processors which may make a higher
end TTS not possible. I think I heard the voice on Roku is eSpeak, but I'm not
totally sure. If it is or if it is similar I also would not necessarily enjoy
using it. I use Eloquence with Jaws since I am not a fan of the high quality
voices for daily work, but I can't stand eSpeak.