Hi, here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
--
Raul A. Gallegos
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.
Home Page: http://raulgallegos.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/rau47
Facebook: http://facebook.com/rau47

On 10/16/2012 3:48 AM, Andrew Lamanche wrote:
What is digital optical output and what does one use it for?

I'd like to say how useful this discussion about Apple tv is for me. I've not
got one yet but I'm learning a lot about it so when I do get it, I will be much
better informed. I have not got an hd tv yet so I can't get Apple tv because I
understand that it does not work with previous generations tv sets. Mine is a
lcd flat screen tv.

Many thanks again to all of you.

Andrew