From: R Van Lant
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 7:42 PM
Subject: question regarding sound vibration in new SE

I’ve had my new SE for about a week. I upgraded from a 6S.  Before I sent my
old phone back to Apple, I was doing a side by side comparison because of a
difference I noticed.  I’m curious if those of you who are audiophiles or
sound engineer types can explain this to me.   My sighted husband couldn’t
detect what I was talking about, but I’m guessing other blind people would
pick up on this as I did.

I’ve certainly heard some of you remark that sound quality is better on the
SE.  I have really only used it for VoiceOver to date, and I wouldn’t claim
to be that astute about music sound quality anyway. Here’s what I noticed.
I had VoiceOver volume set as close to the same on both phones as possible I
took both out of their cases and set them on the table. I then ran my finger
over the screen showing my mail inbox on both phones, so that VoiceOver was
reading aloud at the same time. .  I notice that the SE distinctly had a
different feel as the sound is projecting.  I can really feel the vibration
through my finger as I’m moving around the screen, even if volume is set
low, like 25%.  It’s like the sounds waves are causing a vibration,.  It
changes the sounds a bit and actually kind of irritates my finger.  I don’t
feel any of that on the 6S.  Anyone else notice this?  I’m not sure how it
would feel on a 7 or 8, so maybe most of you are used to this.  I’m just
really surprised at how different it feels and I’m honestly a bit
disappointed.  I think I’m also feeling the difference a bit on my eardrums,
but the feel in my finger is a more pronounced way to describe the
difference.

On a related note, is the hole on the bottom left were the 3.5 headphone
used to plug in now also a speaker?  I just noticed that, if I have
VoiceOver talking, my thumb clearly feels more vibration coming out of the
right speaker than the left.  I’m not sure if it would be equal, so maybe
this is expected behavior.

I’ll go to an Apple store soon if this could be a problem, but didn’t want
to sound like a complete neurotic person without some validating of what I’m
observing.

Robin

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/CY4PR1401MB207222F44C4C2402E666646EAF890%40CY4PR1401MB2072.namprd14.prod.outlook.com.