Hi Christina,

While there isn't a "form letter" to use for approaching developers
about accessibility, there are examples of specific cases list members
have posted that you can use for guidelines.  Here's a link to a post
Bryan Jones wrote last year, in response to someone writing about
accessibility issues that she discovered in the PBS app.
• Re: PBS App Very Disappointed
http://groups.google.com/group/viphone/msg/96962978425ef21b
(Apologies for using the long, Google Groups URL, but this post
predates the availability of the secondary Mail Archive post for easy
searching of viphone archives, that became available half a year ago.)

It's more important to be clear about describing what happens than it
is to use technical terms. You don't need to go into the level of
detail that Bryan does in his example of various accessibility
problems, but any information about the nature of the problem (e.g.
unlabeled buttons, difficulties navigating, controls that are not
exposed to VoiceOver, etc.) and where you encounter it are helpful.
(In the case of one app I've tried, simply turning on VoiceOver at any
point immediately causes the app to crash -- on any device, but that's
extreme.)  At the end of Bryan's post he lists accessibility resources
that are available to developers.  There are are also described at the
AppleVis site's page of information for iOS developers:
http://www.applevis.com/information-app-developers

If you haven't already come across this, I strongly recommend that you
read Matt Legend Gemmell's blog post on "Accessibility for iPhone and
iPad apps":
http://mattgemmell.com/2010/12/19/accessibility-for-iphone-and-ipad-apps/

This post got a lot of discussion and circulation on list when it came
out (just before Christmas 2010).  It's entirely readable by a non-
technical audience, but uses all the terms that another developer can
latch onto and immediately understand, like "Interface Builder".  It's
illuminating because it describes the tools made available to
developers to implement accessibility, and because it shows how easy
it is in many cases to add accessibility.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther