You should go to www.sonos.com and simply read about the Sonos music system.
Richard mentioned the Sonos Roam because he has recently become a "Sonos
convert" and I think very much enjoys the experience just as pretty much
everybody who has a Sonos system does. The short answer is that Sonos is a lot
more than a speaker, the Roam is just their latest or at least almost latest
edition to their line-up of high quality multi-room speakers. Sonos speakers
use WiFi because they are part of a music system of speakers who talk to each
other and while all the new speakers released in the last few years are Airplay
2 capable, it used to be the case that you really only used your iPhone and the
Sonos app as a remote to control your system. Sonos connects to a huge list of
paid and free music services including all the popular ones like Apple Music,
Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, YouTube Music, Tune In, iHeart Radio and so on and also
can connect to Audible and AudioBooks.com. If you are at home you then simply
select the room where you want to play music and what music you want to play
and it will play. If you want to play music in 2 or 3 rooms or all over your
house it's no problem, as long as you have a Sonos speaker or speakers in a
room you can group any rooms or the entire house. The first portable speaker
Sonos released was the Move about 2 or maybe almost 3 years ago, but it was
rather large and still quite expensive and while it's a great speaker for the
deck or in the backyard, it's probably not a speaker you want to throw in your
backpack wwhen you go somewhere and this is where the Roam comes in, it's more
the size of a Bose Soundlink, but since it is a Sonos speaker it still is part
of the Sonos system when you are at home and connected to WiFi and only if you
are out of range of your WiFi it will automatically switch to Bluetooth and act
just like any other Bluetooth speaker.
By now Sonos has a very large and complete selection of speakers for all rooms
and uses from the two portable speakers to the Sonos SL which is basically the
size of a Sonos Move but not portable (all of these speakers can also be set up
as a stereo pair if you have two of the same), then you have the Sonos One
which is like the Sonos SL but it has microphones and you can set it up either
with Alexa or the Google Assistant. Then you have the Sonos Five which is a
much larger speaker, more like a traditional boombox and you can use a single
Five in horizontal orientation or, if you have two of them, place them upright
to work as a stereo pair. Next is the TV surround setup for the living room
which consists of either the smaller Beam soundbar or the much larger Arc
soundbar, both are capable of Dolby Atmos sound and you get the best result if
you add a set of Sonos SL as rear speakers and the Sonos wireless
Sub as a subwover. The Beam and Arc of course would be placed underneath your
TV, the rear speakers would be behind you and can be wall mounted and the Sonos
Sub is about the size of a desktop tower, but it weighs a little over 35 pounds
and despite I ts compact size it's an absolutely amazing sub. You can even add
a second Sub to the setup for maximum base. Of course this is not a cheap
system, an Arc soundbar, two Sonos SL rear speakers and a wireless Sub sold as
a surround package here in Canada is I think somewhere around $23,50, in USD I
think around $1,600 or $1,700.
Sonos also has a partnership with Ikea and they have just released a digital
picture frame which also acts as a Sonos speaker, not sure if it has the
digital assistant capability and I along with many other Sonos fans who have
had their system for a long time (I bought my first Sonos gear in 2009) are all
holding our breath for a headset which may really be coming in the next year or
so, finally. It's expected that this would be a full-size over the ear design
in the $500 or so price range, but again also capable of being a "zone" in a
Sonos system. This means I can play any music or audio book directly on it or,
if my wife is watching TV and I want to listen but do something in the kitchen
I can group it with the living room and listen in to the same thing.

Best regards,