Hallo Lauren,

I'm sorry that you haven't much luck with the ColorVisor, so far. Using a
camera to identify colors is sometimes a bit tricky, but it is possible to get
reliable results.

Whenever you move the camera to focus a new object, your device will perform a
calibration process to adopt to the new optical conditions (auto focus,
exposure, white balance etc.). This may take a number of seconds. During this
time color identification is not reliable and may sound quite as random. The
default settings of version 2.0 of the ColorVisor are that you hear a
calibration sound to indicate that the process is running. Additionally,
VoiceOver won't speak color names during this time. Once the calibration
settled down, color identification is quite accurate.

Of course, there still remains the old problem of light conditions. If you try
to scan a structured object, such as folded clothes, it might produce shadows
on its own, leading to a number of different colors on the same object. There
is a general rule: the more space is between the camera and the object, the
more accurate is the color identification. However, then it is harder to focus
the region of interest. I'm trying to find a solution for this.

You may also try to reduce the number of detected colors. This can be done in
the Color Scanner Settings of version 2.0 of the ColorVisor by choosing
ColorVisor basic as the reference color palette. Then you will get only basic
colors such as red, dark blue or light green.

I hope this gave you some insight into the color recognition process and
encouraged you to give the thing another try. You can always contact me about
problems, hints or comments.

Greetings

Jan

---
ColorVisor - Color recognition on the iPhone
Download on the App Store:
http://itunes.com/app/ColorVisor
---
Dr. Jan Blüher
visorApps - Accessible apps for iPad & iPhone
Bayreuther Str. 2
D-01187 Dresden
Germany

phone: +49 (0) 351 16053907