Hi DJ, Richard, and Others,

The app is FiRe 2 - Field Recorder ($5.99) by Audiofile Engineering:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fire-2-field-recorder/id436241643?mt=8

The name comes from the two initial letters of the words, "Field
Recorder", since the original  FiRe app (spelled capital "F", small
letter "i", capital "R", small letter "e") was the first professional
grade recorder for the iPhone for recording gigs in the field.

The editing functions and additional customization for sampling rates
were added in version two of the app, which I haven't tried to use yet
with VoiceOver. They also allowed you to record mono tracks, and
provided various equalizer settings to boost male or female voice
recordings, or optimize for specifc settings, like lecture recordings
or concerts. The sort of features that were accessible in version 1 of
FiRe that you didn't find in other such apps were precise marker
placement and navigation by these markers within tracks.

One warning for something not to try with VoiceOver: do not attempt to
get and use the Røde microphone apps, because these will kill
VoiceOver.  In the original release of FiRe, there was a separate,
free version of the FiRe app that was released for the Blue Microphone
product called Blue FiRe.  Blue FiRe and the first version of FiRe are
long since gone from the app store, but the Blue FiRe app was a useful
free version of FiRe to learn on.  It didn't have all the
accessibility features of FiRe for marker placement, but it had an
introductory recording explaining how the app was used, and included a
lot of the basic recording features of FiRe.  If you had an iPhone 3GS
or early generation iPod Touch, you could use it to record.

While I was reading about Audiofile Engineering's recent iPhone
microphone support, I came across references to the Røde iXY
microphone for the iPhone 4S and older iPad models.  This is billed as
a 24-bit/96kHz-capable recording device that demoed at the Consumer
Electronic Show and started shipping last month.  It also was supposed
to have a special version of the FiRe 2 app to use for recording (same
price of $5.99 for the app), and a free recording app named "RØDE Rec
LE", both by RØDE Microphones.  I'll just say that if you load the
"RØDE Rec LE" app and launch it, your VoiceOver volume will get set to
0 with no way of getting the volume back unless you can kill the app,
or reset your iPhone. You can kill the app in the app switcher if you
perform all the VoiceOver gestures without sound feedback, and VO will
come back. Or if you have the regular FiRe 2 app in your app switcher
and can switch to that, you can also get sound back. Just don't even
bother to try the RØDE Microphones apps if you use VoiceOver without
vision.  They won't be of any use.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther