Sandy,

Here's how I do it and it works reliably for me.

Double tap and hold until you hear the tones. Without lifting your
finger just slide it to the right. You can do this in a slow, smooth
motion. I usually let my finger drop off the right edge of the phone
then I touch along the right side of the screen approximately where
the title of the note was and I find the confirm delete button and
double tap it.

I hope this helps.

Kim

Kimberly