After purchasing my IPhone 5 with my first otterbox case, I found eventually that there is a little play between the actual screen on the phone and the cover on the case. I do definitely have to tap harder. So, there are always variables that one must take into account as to why different situations occur. I think it is too late for me to take my case back to Verizon so will probably continue to deal with it. I am certain that a sighted person probably would not be able to detect the slight difference, but since I had previously had an IPhone 4 with a different case, I can now tell the difference. I did not realize it was not supposed to have that much play until I showed it to another blind user.

Donna
Sign on my door: "Go ahead and knock, I'm already disturbed!"
-----Original Message----- From: Lauren Simmons
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:18 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: The 2-finger double tap gesture

To assess sensitivity of touch screen on iDevice simply place your finger
very, very lightly on the screen. Then increasingly place more of the fleshy
part of your finger on the screen. Do this repeatedly. In very quick time
you will get an idea of the sensitivity and pressure necessary to activate
icons on a touch screen. You want to first almost not even touch the glassy
surface.

To determine the amount of movement necessary for a swipe, practice with a
similar task. Swipe your finger the very slightest bit until you get an idea
of the distance you have to swipe to move from one item to another. Then go
to the extremes. The idea being one of finding the sweet spot to move very
quickly through the icons and screen elements.

It must be an amazingly difficult task for user manual writers and such to
explain simple and complex ideas as it appears there will always be some
that just don't seem to be able to accomplish any task--this kinda thing
always seems to make me furl my eyebrows in confusion. :)

LS