Esther, thanks for the explanation but I don't think I'm getting all of it.
Since I did purchase the full Tap Forms app but did so through a link in the
program, if I later download the Lite version again to another device and
update to the full version within that app, would it be updated for free
since it was purchased previously? I believe that's what you're saying
below.

I don't think I'm a fan of how this works and it would have made since for
me to simply purchase the full app using either my phone or the iTunes Store
rather than the way I did it. I think it's confusing to have an app labeled
as lite when it is no longer the lite version but a full version. Is there
any way to get around this without having to pay another $8.99?

What is actually happening when an app update is done through the app
itself? You mention that there is no record of the purchase. Doesn't the App
Store have to be informed of the update purchase? I assume I'll be getting
the usual email from them in a day or two dinging me for the $8.99.

I know I'm not the only one confused by how app updates are handled because
I seem to recall other posts on this topic in the past.

Thanks for your help.

Alan Lemly