You know, I thought that Blind Square was 15 dollars. I find it's 23 or perhaps 24. Perhaps one day it will go back on sale and then I'll try to get it. I can afford it, but I just don't do enough traveling to make it a necessity; it would be fun to play with; so I'll wait to perhaps a sale.
Thanks for the compass readings.  You're nothing if you're not thorough!
Thanks so much.

Hello Penny, Krister and List,

OK, so I just did some experimenting with the compass and how you can hold
your phone to get the correct reading. If I want directions I actually use
an app called Voice Compass rather than the stock Compass app. Voice Compass
has it's own male voice which is of very good quality, actually I'd say it's
a human voice which plays wave files or whatever since all it has to say is
North, East, South, West and the ones in between like Northwest, Southeast
etc. That's only 8 pieces of information so it would be easy to do. The app
does also display the actual degrees on the screen so if you want more
accuracy than North or Northeast than you can check the screen. If anybody
wants to check out Voice Compass, here is the link, it is 99 Cents:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/a+-voice-compass/id320952364?mt=8

Anyhow, back to directions and how to hold the phone. I know my living room
window points due east, so here it goes:

If I hold my iPhone flat in my hand with the top edge where the headphone
jack is against the window, Voice Compass correctly says "East".
If I flip the iPhone around and hold the bottom edge with the charging port
against the window I do, not surprisingly, get the announcement "West".

Now, if I hold the iPhone vertically, but still with the top edge against
the window, I still get "East".
It doesn't matter if the touch screen is facing to the left (9 o'clock) or
to the right (3 o'clock) as long as the phone's top is pointing the right
way.
Once again, if I hold the phone vertically but flip it so the bottom edge is
against the window, I get the "West" announcement.

Now, holding the phone vertically in front of me which means I am holding
the entire back of the phone where the camera lens is flat against the
window with the phone right side up (home button on the bottom), the compass
still works as it should and announces "East".

If I flip the phone upside down so that the back of the phone is against the
window, but the home button is pointing up and the headphone jack is
pointing down, the compass now reverses and announces "West".

Now, for the last 2 positions. I am once again holding the phone right side
up (headphone jack pointing straight up, home button on the bottom), but I
am now holding the phone with the touch screen facing away from me and flat
against the window. Voice Compass now tells me "West".

Lastly, I once again flip the phone upside down, I am still holding the
touch screen away from me and pressed against the window, but now the
headphone jack is again down and the home button and connector port is up.
Voice Compass once again tells me "East".

The conclusion is the for the compass to work correctly, the phone can be
held flat or on edge as long as the top of the phone where the headphone
jack is points in the direction you want to know you are facing. This means
you could have the phone on a belt clip holster, but for compass directions
to work, you must be able to turn the belt clip so the phone is held in
landscape position and the headphone jack has to point in the direction you
are walking with the home button towards your back.

What I found out with this test and hadn't realized as much before is that
you could also have your phone in a chest pocket in either one of 2
orientations:
1. With the touchscreen against your chest and right side up
2. With the back of the phone against your chest and the touch screen
pointing in the direction you are going and upside down.

The same would apply if you had a neck holder like this one:
http://www.iphone-lanyard.com/Site/iPhone_Holder.html
Here it would make sense to have the phone in the holder upside down and
hanging with the back of the phone against your chest or stomach (depending
on how long you adjust the neck strap). This would give you accurate compass
direction and it would give you easy access to the touch screen as well.

I hope I didn't confuse people with this and that it might help some in
deciding how to best carry their phone.