If the system is still responding, couldn't you just power it off and power it back on instead of doing a reset? Hold the lock button down for a few seconds until you hear slide to power down and then double tap the screen. After 20 seconds or so, press the lock button for 5 seconds or so and wait for the phone to come back on.

On 09/14/2013 03:02 PM, Arnold Schmidt wrote:
You should be warned that doing the reset with the home and power
buttons sometimes turns off VoiceOver.  It has turned it off every time
for me, others on this list say it has never turned it off.  So, I would
be near a computer with iTunes, or sighted help before trying it, just
in case it turns it off for you.
Arnold Schmidt

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Alan Paganelli <mailto:alanandsuza...@earthlink.net>
    *To:* viphone@googlegroups.com <mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:35 PM
    *Subject:* Re: iPhone 5 and Inconsistent Headset Remote Results

    Try this.  Hold down the power button and the home key for ten
    seconds.  It's a restart and will not effect any of your settings,
    apps, etc.  You've got nothing to lose and it might work.
    -------
    Regards,
    Alan
    Go Chicago Bears in 2013!
    Teenagers; Tired of being harassed by your stupid parents?  Act
    now!!!!!  Move out.  Get a job.  Pay your bills wile you still know
    everything.
    Please click on:
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/
    <http://www.home.earthlink.net/%7Ealanandsuzanne/>
    There, you'll find free files of my arrangements and performances
    played on
    the Yamaha Tyros 1 keyboard.  The albums in Technics  format
    formerly on my website are still available upon request.  Thanks for
    listening!