Sounds like a hardware issue. I would get a replacement.

Andy

From: Sherrie
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:40 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: iPhone 5 and Inconsistent Headset Remote Results
About 6 months ago my Apple earpods just stopped working completely on my
iPhone 5.  They work just fine on any other gadget.  I tried three different
sets to be sure.
I bought some Samsung earphones for about $4.95 from Amazon and they work to
start and stop the music or books as well as to control Siri. Only the one
button works on the Samsung earphones but it is the one I need.
I am hoping that perhaps the IOS 7 will restore the capacity to use the Apple
earpods. Eventually I may have to replace the phone because of the earphone
problem and the fact that the home button will no longer close a folder.  And
the power button will not work at all.  The iPhone goes to sleep only after the
allotted amount of time has passed.
When I first started having the earpod problems I did several hard resets and
even restored the whole iPhone from a backup.  No luck.
If it didn’t cost $200 to replace it through the insurance I would do so ASAP.
Sherrie