Hello Lee,

A more reliable way to find out how many messages you have is to do a
3-finger tap approx in the middle of the screen. A 3-finger swipe down more
often than not will refresh your mailbox  which means it will check for
mail. A 3-finger tap is the gesture to "Speak Page Number or Rows being
displayed". I, for example, have currently 89 messages in the Inbox for my
business account. If I am at the top of the mailbox and do this, Voiceover
will say "Rows 1 to 3 of 89" which means it shows me the first 3 mail
messages of the 89 messages I have.

As far as getting to the top of the list, Raul's suggestion works well, if
you touch Edit you have to swipe right twice to get to the first message,
the first swipe puts you on the search field and the second on the first
message. You can also use the universal method of getting to the top of
anything which is to touch an item in the status bar at the ttop such as the
time and then when Voiceover announced the time do a double tap anywhere on
the screen.

If you want to get to the bottom of your list, just touch right above the
home key. You should hear something like "Updated just now", if you have,
for example, 2 unread messages, it will most likely say "Updated just now, 2
unread".
Now from here you can swipe right once to get to the Compose button which
starts a new message or you can swipe left once to get to the very last
message in your mailbox.

As for the rotor, Actions should be selected by default when you get
anywhere where the Action Rotor is available. The exception to this would be
if you turn the rotor to something else. I just tried this by turning the
rotor to headings in my Inbox, then I backed out of my Inbox and went into
my Sent folder and the rotor stayed on headings. Also, if I close mail with
the home key and go back in, the rotor is still on headings and I had to
manually turn it back to Actions.

Now, if I turn the rotor to headings on the home screen and then go into
mail it does automatically get switched to the Action rotor and I can flick
down once to get to "More" and a second time to get to "Trash". You can
always get to Trash with just one flick if you flick up instead of down.

If you accidently double tap on "More" and have the list of options, Reply,
Forward, Flag, Mark as Unread, Move to Junk, Move Message and Cancel, you
can swipe all the way down to Cancel and double tap it to get out of that
list of buttons.

Lastly, in order to get back to the Inbox when you are in a message, use the
Back button at the top left of the screen as Kimber suggested or use the
"scrub" gesture. This is a gesture where you put 2 fingers on the screen and
I find it easiest to write a sort of letter Z which means I do a sort of
zigzag. I start towards the left of the screen, drag both fingers  to the
right, then I drag them down diagonally across the screen and back to the
right.I think you can also just put 2 fingers on the screen a bit apart and
starting on the left drag them straight across to the right and back to the
left, but I find that zigzag letter Z gesture easier.

I suggest you go into practice mode by doing a 4-finger double tap on the
screen and practice turning the rotor as well as that scrub gesture. The
scrub gesture works for going back from inside a message back to the message
list, if you are in the Inbox or Sent folder it will take you back out to
the main screen of the mail app where all your folders are and it would also
work to get out of that list of buttons if you accidently double tap "More"
in the rotor which means you don't have to swipe all the way down to Cancel.
It also gets you out of the App Switcher, Control Center, Notification
Center and Item Chooser.
It works as the "Back" button in many apps although not in all, in the
Audible app for example the scrub gesture does not work and you have to use
the Back button.