I have the iPhone 4s with version 7.0.4 and the delete key works perfectly fine
when using touch typing. I did a test by typing 411 and then dragging  my
finger to the delete button which is on the top right-ish corner  of the phone
and I simply let go on the delete button and it deletes the one then deletes
the one then delete the  for Hope that helps

Sent from the Super-iPhone