How did your phone pick up your email settings from your PC? If you're using POP, you probably don't want to use the same settings on both your phone and your PC. In general, POP will download the emails to your device and then erase them from your server, meaning you can't access your email from multiple devices. You can change these settings a bit. Here's how I had things set up when I was using POP on multiple devices.

On my PC, I configured it to download my messages and remove them from the server. Therefore, whenever I checked my mail on my PC, I could take care of all of it, but I wouldn't be able to access any messages I downloaded to my PC from any other device. The PC was where I stored all of my email for future reference.

On my other devices, I configured POP to download my messages to the device but leave them on my server. I further configured it to delete any messages from the server that I moved to a folder or deleted from my device. This way I could check my email on one of my devices, delete the messages I didn't have to archive or deal with later, and leave the rest on the server until I could get to my PC.

It may be the case that your email is sluggish when you bring it up because all of those messages need to be downloaded. The reason you see the same messages on both your PC and your iPhone could be that you're leaving your messages on the server, and deleting them from your phone or your PC isn't deleting them from the server, so they're redownloaded every time you check your email.

Note I did this until I switched to Gmail and IMAP. If you'll be dealing with your email from multiple devices, and you don't have a compelling reason to stick with POP, you might want to make the leap to IMAP. Note that there are some advantages to POP over IMAP, but they probably aren't worth it if you're going to be accessing your email from multiple devices.