I agree a lot of questions can be answered with a quick Google search and a lot of list traffic would be eliminated if people would look through all of their email messages to see if a question has already been answered before they answer it themselves, but we can't dictate to others how to process their email or when to use Google versus when to ask a question on a list. We can make sure people are aware of their different options, but I'm not sure ranting to people about it is the most affective method.

Two other things to consider are ignoring those questions or threads you find trivial or useless, which would be especially easy if you're using a threaded email client. Or secondly looking for another list where the traffic isn't so astoundingly useless to you.

Finally, I think Raul and Cara do a good job with this list gently reminding people what good list habits are and letting them know how their posts can impact the other 1500 members of the list. IMHO, a gentle reminder like that from the moderator is more affective than a rant from a list member.