Sent: Friday, January 02, 2015 7:36 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: My Recent Experience upgrading from a 5 S to an iPhone 6 Plus, With One Question

If you can afford it, it's always a good idea to buy the newest model available at the time. This would be a 6 or 6 Plus at this point and which one you choose would depend entirely on your preference with respect to the size of the phone. The 6 Plus is very big, but it does have the advantage of a big battery and hence very good battery life (at least for an iPhone).

Just keep in mind that it's unlikely you have any smartphone for 7 years as you did your old phone. I think for most people 4 or at the most 5 years is the maximum lifetime of a phone nowadays since after that time you'll run into issues where your OS may not support new apps and so on. Of course batteries degrade over time and may not hold much of a charge any more and it's typically not worth spending $100 or more to pay somebody to put a new battery into, for example, an iPhone 3GS which is now the model of iPhone which if somebody had bought it at its release in the summer of 2009 would be now 5 and a half years old. It wouldn't even make sense if you had an iPhone 4 from 2010 although I know people who do have those and I'm always surprised how well they still do hold their charge.

Buying an unlocked phone at full price would only make sense if you are able to get an inexpensive plan from an MVNO where you only pay $30 or $40 a months so that the $40 or $50 you save each months add up to a large enough amount over what would be your normal 2-year contract period that you actually save money in the end.