On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 09:25:01AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 11:02:50AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

> > > It is not all about the speed.
> > >
> > > VDPA presents another large and complex software stack in the
> > > hypervisor that can be eliminated by simply using VFIO.
> >
> > vDPA supports standard virtio devices so how did you define
> > complexity?
>
> As I said, VFIO is already required for other devices in these VMs. So
> anything incremental over base-line vfio-pci is complexity to
> minimize.
>
> Everything vdpa does is either redundant or unnecessary compared to
> VFIO in these environments.
>
> Jason

Yes but you know. There are all kind of environments.  I guess you
consider yours the most mainstream and important, and are sure it will
always stay like this.  But if there's a driver that does what you need
then you use that. You really should be explaining what vdpa
*does not* do that you need.

But anyway, if Alex wants to maintain this it's not too bad,
but I would like to see more code move into a library
living under the virtio directory. As it is structured now
it will make virtio core development harder.

--
MST