On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 09:42AM, Pong-TC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am
>confused with the sentence "run the included perl_setup.com from your
>login.com or sylogin.com".  Can you please give me more explainations?

perl_setup.com doesn't move any files around or make any system modifications.  It
just defines one logical name (perl_root) and a bunch of symbols in your process.
Unless you have done something to change the definition of the "define" verb, the
logical name will be a supervisor-mode process logical (not visible by other processes
on the system).

There is some intelligence in the version of perl_setup.com included here to determine
its own location.  So, for example, you can just execute it:

$ @DISK$FOO:[UTIL.PERL-5_8_4]perl_setup

and it will define perl_root to point to its own location like so:

$ SHOW LOGICAL PERL_ROOT/FULL
   "PERL_ROOT" [super] = "$2$DUA44:[UTIL.PERL-5_8_4.]" [concealed] (LNM$PROCESS_TABLE)