"Craig A. Berry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 08/23/2004 11:08:38 PM:

> Hi Folks,

> This isn't the latest greatest since 5.8.5 is out now, but these are
> much more recent than other binary kits available (such as the now
> ancient 5.6.1 still distributed by HP).  Here's what I've got:

> Binary kits for Alpha and Itanium:

> perl-5_8_4-vmsaxp-7_2-1.zip

> perl-5_8_4-vmsia64-8_1.zip

> To install these binary kits, unzip and run the included
> perl_setup.com from your login.com or sylogin.com.

> There is also an easy-to-build source kit:

> perlbuild584.zip

Preliminary results of the easy-to-build source kit. No, I'm not asking
for help, though advice would certainly be appreciated. But I think this
looks worse than it actually is.

I tried this yesterday, doing everything under my own username, with all
privileges except NETMBX and TMPMBX turned off. The environment is:
VMS: 7.1-1H2
CC: DEC C V5.6-003
TCP/IP: Multinet 4.1 Rev A-X
Make: MMK 3.9-6.

The build was done from users:[wyanttr.perlbuild584], with "users:" being
a rooted directory that adds one level to the nest depth.

I experienced one test failure in core Perl:
lib/Net/hostent......................FAILED at test 5

This was after applying my patch for the "stat" bug in the C RTL. I have
not further researched this, but I had no problems that I recognized as
being caused by building under a "shallow directory" version of VMS. If
you run the build as SYSTEM (with nothing else changed, including the
ownership and protection of the kit files, you get a couple extra core
failures:
t/io/fs..............................FAILED at test 33
t/op/stat............................FAILED at test 29

The bundled extensions were a little messier:

EXPAT didn't link. I was able to get it to go by editing the DESCRIP.MMS
to add the line
CC = CC/DECC/PREFIX=ALL
but I have not yet done a full rebuild after figuring this out.

Zlib failed to run test script number 6, the error being
Can't call method "gzwrite" on an undefined value at t/06gzdopen.t line
66.
%C-F-EINVAL, invalid argument
What appears to be happening here is that the previous gzopen is failing
because it doesn't like to be passed a filehandle. If you give it a
filename instead it plows happily on.

The Zlib build also a realclean error due to the excessive length of a VMS
command line, but I'm not going to worry about that.

LWP failed both "get" tests due to a permission problem. I have not
investigated.

VMS::FindFile failed tests 3 and 4 of t/1
This failure goes away if you run the build as SYSTEM (and therefore with
privileges turned on).

VMS::ICC fails to build because it can't #include <iccdef.h>. I can find
no such file on my system. Which is OK, since I didn't intend to use the
library anyway. Is this new with VMS 7.2?

VMS::Librarian failed to build due to various cc: errors. It starts like
this:

CC/DECC /Include=[]/Standard=Relaxed_ANSI/Prefix=All/Obj=.obj
/float=ieee/ieee=denorm_results/Define=("VERSION=""1.07""","XS_VERSION=""1.07""")/Include=(perl_root:[lib.VMS_AXP.5_8_4.CORE])/NoList

 LIBRARIAN.c

    int                                 theDataLength = av_len(data) ;
....^
%CC-E-BADSTMT, Invalid statement.
at line number 417 in file PERLKIT:[MODULES.VMS-LIBRARIAN]LIBRARIAN.XS;1

    int                                 theDebug = vlib_debug || (debug&2)
;
....^
%CC-E-BADSTMT, Invalid statement.
at line number 418 in file PERLKIT:[MODULES.VMS-LIBRARIAN]LIBRARIAN.XS;1

    dsc$descriptor_s                    theKey = {strlen(key),
DSC$K_DTYPE_T, DSC$K_CLASS_S, key} ;
........................................^
%CC-E-NOSEMI, Missing ";".
at line number 419 in file PERLKIT:[MODULES.VMS-LIBRARIAN]LIBRARIAN.XS;1

    dsc$descriptor_s                    theKey = {strlen(key),
DSC$K_DTYPE_T, DSC$K_CLASS_S, key} ;
................................................................................................^
%CC-E-NOSEMI, Missing ";".
at line number 419 in file PERLKIT:[MODULES.VMS-LIBRARIAN]LIBRARIAN.XS;1

and continues for quite a while. I can't swear that I have ever built this
correctly, though.

So regardless of the verbiage I have dumped into this message, it appears
that the source kit is pretty usable.

Thanks,
Tom Wyant

information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.  Unless
explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
or an acceptance of a contract offer.  This e-mail does not constitute
a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.