Craig A. Berry wrote:
At 5:38 PM -0600 1/31/05, John E. Malmberg wrote:

It appears that the perl source wants HAS_SOCKETPAIR defined if the host
supports SOCKETPAIR, but the configure script only knows how to define it
if d_sockpair='define'.  A bit inconsistent and confusing.

It does seem there's a conflation of whether the C routine socketpair() is present and whether the Perl opcode sockpair is available, but in practice it probably amounts to the same thing.

So the define is for making the perl opcode do something, and thus it follows the perl opcode name instead of the library routine name?

Perl seems to know about the standard C routine fstatvfs() and the
non-standard fstatfs().

It does not seem to know about the standard C routine statvfs(), just the
non-standard statfs().
If you have a specific need for statvfs(), I'm sure it could be
added. I can't find any references in the Perl core to statfs().
Most likely Perl would operate on filehandles rather than file names
when querying the file system, so it's not surprising we see it using
fstatvfs() when it needs to do this.

I have no specific need for it. Just noticed the define for it, and knew that it was provided in 8.2.

Looks like configure.com needs to be updated to register the presence
of socketpair and fstatvfs in VMS v8.2 and higher.  If it's likely
any of these will be made available on v7.3-2 via ECO, we should have
real tests rather than just hard-wiring by VMS version.

At this time, I am not aware of any plans to back port these features to before v8.2. Some of these new features are dependent on what is in the operating system for them to work.

I have a test version of the 5.8.6 configure.com that is enabling those based on v8.2 being present.

The statvfs() main use is it it allows a C program to easily check disk quotas for free space.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only