Just finished building, testing and installing perl 5.12.3 for OpenVMS Alpha V8.3. Everything appeared normal throughout. Afterward I was Just plinking around with the perl documentation utility and noticed that it does not appear completely functional:

$ perldoc "perldoc"
No documentation found for "perldoc".
%RMS-E-FNF, file not found
$ perldoc "-D" "perldoc"
Ending switch processing.  Args are [perldoc] with 0 errors.
perl_root:[utils]perldoc.com => Pod::Perldoc v3.15_02

Formatter class Pod::Perldoc::ToText successfully loaded!
Will format with the class Pod::Perldoc::ToText
Searching for perldoc
Looking for perldoc in perl_root:[utils] perl_root:[lib.site_perl.VMS_AXP] perl_root:[lib.site_perl] perl_root:[lib.VMS_AXP.5_12_3] perl_root:[lib] . DISK_CSWB:[CSWB] DISK_XPDF:[APPLICATIONS.XPDF] GNV$GNU:[BIN] perl_root:[lib.pod] Looking for perlperldoc in perl_root:[utils] perl_root:[lib.site_perl.VMS_AXP] perl_root:[lib.site_perl] perl_root:[lib.VMS_AXP.5_12 _3] perl_root:[lib] . DISK_CSWB:[CSWB] DISK_XPDF:[APPLICATIONS.XPDF] GNV$GNU:[BIN] perl_root:[lib.pod]
No documentation found for "perldoc".
%RMS-E-FNF, file not found

Is this expected? has anybody else experienced this or can somebody else repeat the problem? I haven't looked at the source to see what file it is looking for. Maybe there is something missing in the install step?

This particular problem is not exactly high priority. But, I thought somebody in the OpenVMS PERL group might be interested.

The installation appears to execute simple perl scripts properly anyway. I haven't yet tried anything complicated. That will have to wait till tomorrow.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Regards,

Eric