Feb. 26, 2005

Vortex,

I see Miles is making a presentation at the March APS meeting.so is Miley
and others well known to him. I presume Miles is salaried at the current
university and they are generous enough to give a free hand in CF
experimentation.. Perhaps he can get a paid leave of absence to pursue CF
work. If so, he could join Miley or others as a visiting professor and he
could contribute his expertise. Perhaps he could make the contacts at the
March APS meeting.
Remember Miley just received a large grant ($100 K) from the New Energy
Foundation that took over Infinite Energy. I would think Miles could make a
proposal to enable him to pursue his CF ideas together with  laboratories
involved with CF. This way foundation funds will not be wasted in duplicate
facilities.
The New Energy Foundation should undertake a larger profile campaign
(fight) for CF while they solicit tax deductible donations for their non
profit efforts.

-ak-

the Manifesto we posted on Thursday, "THE DOE LIES!" I asked Mel Miles
whether he thinks it is over the top. He replied with a very depressing
message. He says he understands why traditionally minded academic
researchers may feel this is excessive, but he thinks the Manifesto is
justified, and he agrees we should leave it.

> He also said the university stands by him, and would like him to work on
CF full time. They have even agreed to release him from teaching. But
without funding the project cannot begin. Miles has been looking for
funding for years. He even considered going to China. He feels the DoE was
his last chance. He is old, and he will probably retire for good now. He
yearns to do another CF experiment, but he has no way to do it.

> I have a feeling we -- the people who support CF -- should try to make
this a cause celebre. Perhaps this time the public will see that the
opposition has gone too far. Ed & I are trying to stir up the public with
out bold red headline, but so far the response has been lukewarm. 150
copies of the Manifesto have been downloaded.

> I am not sure what we should do, or what we can can do. But I have a
sense that Mel is a perfect "poster boy" (as the dreadful modern cliche has
it).  Consider:

> The University supports him, and is willing to let him do research full
time.
> He has a stellar record.
> He is old; this is his last chance.
>
> As for what else we can do . . .  Does anyone here have suggestions? If
there are steps that cost a few thousand dollars I would be willing to pay
for them. The most effective steps probably will not cost much. Here are
few ideas:

> Expand the headlines and the document. Call upon the readers here and at
LENR-CANR to speak up, contact their Congressmen, contact reporters. Of
course we have all done this sort of thing before, but we have seldom had
such a clear-cut injustice, and such a straightforward, reasonable demand.
I think people will see that we are
> not asking for much. We want the government to give a research grant to a
scientist that the government itself nominated at "Distinguished Fellow."
If that is not a reasonable, sensible demand, what is?

> Perhaps we could purchase advertising on Google. Not sure what, but
whenever anyone types "cold fusion," or "energy" we could have small ad
come up saying:

> THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY BROKE ITS PROMISE
> WE DEMAND FUNDING FOR COLD FUSION NOW
> THE LAST CHANCE FOR ONE OF AMERICA'S LEADING SCIENTISTS
> [Link to LENR-CANR.org]
>
> Putting an ad like that in newspapers would be terribly expensive, but
perhaps Google would be cheaper. I do not know.

> If thousands, or tens of thousands, of people read the manifesto (and the
HTML pages), and they contacted the authorities, perhaps it would have an
effect.

> Other CF researchers would prefer we do this quietly, behind the scenes,
the polite academic old-school way. Ed & I feel that the time for that has
passed.