Chris Zell wrote:
Chris wrote:

                  Now we're getting somewhere!

No, we are not. You are repeating the same mistake that Jeff made, changing
what the Correas did before you ever see the effect. The PAGD discharge is a
wideband event. Transformers are ***not*** simple devices in a wideband
case, they have stray inductance which will present a complex impedance to
the discharge. You are ignoring what I said about the discharge continuing
with no rise in the cell voltage. You say you have studied the Correa
ptents, but you have not understood the implications of what is in them.
Transformers also block DC.

I don't want to be harsh here, but you have to do your homework **very
thoroughly**.

Mike Carrell

  CZ: Sadly,  I hope you haven't been infected with the Correas' mindset.

MC: No. I want to make the point that one should start from what the Correas
did and published before changing it.

CZ: I have done a lot of 'homework' on this subject - including sending the
Correas an e-mail warning them that much of their patents effect may be
covered by old patents by Philo Farnsworth in the '30's and '40's
in which he obtained "overunity" ( perhaps in a different context) from
implinging electrons on vacuum housed aluminum plates. ( multipactor tubes)

MC: No problem. I have not said, or intended to say, that the PAGD
phenomenon appears only in the Correa parallel plate configuration. In fact
the patents state that they have seen it various electrode configurations
[built by Alexandra], even in flurorescent lamps. Another person has alerted
me to reports of unexplained explosions in plasma experiments in Russia.

CZ:    As things stand, the Correas do not have anything practical to offer
the public.  For the sake of humanity, let's hope that changes.
It is entirely reasonable to question their  work - respectfully - so as to
try to create something practical out of it.  At least one of their
patents clearly presents a transformer on the output in the printed
schematic, so they've experimented with it.

MC: You are correct on that, I had forgotten it. In your text you had
mentioned first pulse transformers, then audio transformers, any old
transformer. I pointed out that an essential feature is that the voltage
across the tube must not rise during the discharge, which will quench it,
limiting the energy output. This is the problem with simple capacitors. A
transformer, unless carefully terminated and designed, will have leakage
reactance which will generate back emf to the discharge current spike, which
may quench it. Thus some depth of knowledge is needed in the selction and
use of reactive devices such as transformers and motors.

MC: Recently, the Correas have collaborated with Harold Aspden to produce a
motor. Information is available on the aetherometry website.

MC: The Correas had first seen the PAGD effect and learned how to produce it
before they used transformers and motors as loads. My caution is to do
simple things first and produce the PAGD effect before you add
"improvements". As I have mentioned in another post, the test circuit
contains a full wave rectifier. It is quite likely that the PAGD discharge
itself is oscillatory and may contain videband components.

  We should respect and try to faithfully duplicate their technical work.
That said , we should utterly avoid the spirit of contentiousness,
contempt and seething hatred that creates the defeat of noble enterprise.
It is not enough to have a Ph.D.  If we follow this ugly course,
we are making ourselves the equals of darkened hearts and minds who sneer at
cold fusion and other developments, regardless of evidence.

MC: Quite so. I have no dislike of the Correas, who were hospitable toward
me.

                  Perhaps a huge part of this mystery concerns the critical
design of the output.  Too small a capacitor and the pulse action will be
inhibited
                  because the capacitor will be filled.  Too fast or brief a
pulse and the battery may reject most of it as heat rather than accept it as
a charge.

MC: That's part of it, and actually no mystery at all if you have studied
well enough to understand that the GD of PAGD means "glow discharge" and are
familiar with that phenomenon.

                  It might be possible to use some sort of audio transformer
of high quality to transform the pulses down.  I would think the low
impedance
                  of  a small battery pack would be reflected back into the
tube favorably.  Perhaps one of the new low voltage ultracaps would work
                 in such a circuit.

MC: The ultracaps are chemical devices; check their wideband performance. I
have in another post suggested that experimental work could be done with a
resistance load of suitable value, and a battery operated two channel
oscilloscope to measure the output pulse and the input pulse together.
Tektronix makes a suitable unit, selling for about $2,000. You could capture
and measure individual pulses, but not do long term integration.

Mike Carrell