How will Russia kept their oil and gas products running in the face of
Rossi's E-Cat challenge? Here's how.

SCADA Strangelove: Zero-days & hacking for full remote control

Speaking of critical SCADA systems online and the risks to them…after
finding more than 60,000 exposed control systems online, two Russian
security researchers found vulnerabilities that could be exploited to take
“full control of systems running energy, chemical and transportation
systems.”

At the Chaos Communication Congress, 30C3, Positive Research chief
technology officer Sergey Gordeychik and consultant Gleb Gritsai said they
demonstrated “how to get full control of industrial infrastructure” to the
energy, oil and gas, chemical and transportation sectors. “The
vulnerabilities,” according to the Australian IT News, “existed in the way
passwords were encrypted and stored in the software's Project database and
allowed attackers to gain full access to Programmable Logic Controllers
(PLCs) using attacks described as dangerous and easy to launch.”

They probed and found holes in “popular and high-end ICS and supervisory
control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems used to control everything
from home solar panel installations to critical national infrastructure.”
There are also numerous vulnerabilities in “home systems -- exposed to the
public internet and at risk of attack.”

In one case, the researchers responsibly disclosed a “vulnerability in the
cloud SCADA platform Daq Connect which allowed attackers running a
demonstration kiosk to access other customer installations." The vendor's
totally unhelpful response was to tell the researchers “to simply 'not do'
the attacks.”

The SCADA Strangelove project has identified more than 150 zero-day
vulnerabilities in SCADA, ICS and PLCs, with five percent of those being
“dangerous remote code execution holes.” At 30C3, they released an updated
version of THC-Hydra, “a password-cracking tool that targeted the
vulnerability in Siemens PLC S-300 devices,” and a “Pretty Shiny Sparkly
ICS/SCADA/PLC Cheat Sheet,” identifying almost 600 ICS, PLC and SCADA
systems, so you too can “become a real SCADA Hacker.”