As I recall, the deal was $10M, spread over various milestones of
development.

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Terry Blanton <hohlr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If it makes any difference, Jed confided in me this whole story when it
> happened.  I found it appalling.  Patterson wanted the $1M from Motorola
> but he wanted control of the secret.  I had empathy for Motorola since they
> gave me my first job out of school and I wanted to see CF succeed.  CETI
> could probably have easily have gotten a 40% share out of the batwings but
> they were greedy.
>
> It was a horrible story and we were devastated by it.

I was disappointed at the time, but not devastated.  I expected Cold Fusion
to rise out of the ashes and I would get to work on it when it became clear
that it was real.  It was not until Rossi's Ni-H claims that I was able to
make a case to start a small project.  This was just before I retired.
When I left, I took the project with me.  At the time of Patterson Cell,
Bob Galvin was in charge - a man of real long term vision.  He knew he
didn't need to fully understand it to make money with it.  He made a big
leap and took Motorola into semiconductors when that technology was little
beyond alchemy.  He felt he could do the same with Cold Fusion (as it was
told to me).  After Bob Galvin left, Motorola slowly divested itself of
most of its physical science research capability; and today, it may not be
possible for Motorola to pursue such a project without re-tooling its
workforce and facilities.  Back in the early 90's Motorola could make at
least one of anything in its labs and then drive it to product - if a UFO
had been given to Motorola for back engineering in 1990, we would all be
flying them now.